Thursday, January 15, 2009

"Okay, Now do Ten Crunches."

Americans seem to be plagued with a gluttonous reputation. The United States is viewed as the nation who would rather play virtual sports on the comfort of a couch, than actually get up, change their clothes, lace their shoes, get in a car, drive to a gym, a tennis court, a park, a soccer field, or a pool to actually exercise. In a desperate attempt to keep up with American clocks that are set at a quicker pace than those in other nations, McDonalds provides the much needed food oasis. Thanks to the New Jersey state government, public school children from the first to twelfth grade are forced to fight the gluttony. However, the fight can only go on for so long. There comes a point when some will make the choice to practice a healthy lifestyle, while others are perfectly content in a lifestyle not recommended by the National Nutrition Association. Physical education in schools is beneficial to a point. However, there comes a time when physical education becomes nothing more than a wasted forty-two minute period. Physical education should not be a requirement beyond the eighth grade, and should be offered solely as an elective for those who enjoy and benefit from the course.

First and foremost, school is an institution founded on academic interests. Therefore, schools should allow for the maximum amount of time to be devoted to classroom studies, if a student so wishes. Many schools, including High Point Regional, offer enticing elective courses and AP classes that many students, myself included, have been forced to give up due to the necessity of physical education. It seems to be common knowledge that Americans, in general, are falling behind other nations in the area of technology. Typically, technology courses in high school are offered as electives. Time must be allotted for these electives, in order to properly prepare interested students for college and life beyond formal education. It could be argued that gym allows for extended academic learning by allowing sciences to have an additional lab period a week, however, it is just as easy to lab out of an elective, a lunch, or a study hall, as many students do currently.

It seems as though physical education was created for two main purposes: 1) to promote exercise and 2) to allow certain students an outlet for the energy typically not appreciated in the classroom setting. For those who wish to release the extra energy, the physical education opportunity should be there, but not all students need that outlet. Physical education would benefit younger children and preteens by exposing them to various sports that one could potentially participate in at the high school level, and by attempting to instill a love of exercise in their minds. However, in high school, it is time for teens to be treated as adults. Meaning, that by the time freshmen enter the building, their lives should be placed in their own hands with the decision to exercise or not to exercise.

Injuries procured in physical education are both unwanted and detrimental to every student. Firstly, many students are put in uncomfortable situations in gym classes while trying to avoid potential injury. For example last week, I was in a gym class with approximately a 24 to 4 boy to girl ratio trying to dodge balls thrown at my face by boys twice my size and with four times as much strength. It’s simply uncomfortable. No student should be put in a similar situation. Secondly, student athletes, who obviously exercise outside of physical education, should not have to worry about injuring themselves in gym class. That single injury could potentially hurt the reputation of the school in general, if the sports teams lose multiple players to physical education injury.

Let high school students choose. Physical education is a wonderful opportunity for those who want it. You cannot force a lifestyle on someone. That lifestyle can only be presented and taught, and after that, it is in the hands of the individual. Once physical education has taught the fundamental lessons of the sporting world, such a team work, the class becomes a hassle, and an obstacle for many students. So let us chose. The ball is in our court.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reserving this. Sorry guys.

tator said...

I found it interesting that someone else wrote on the same topic as I did. I think this blog was very well written and your word choice was excellent in this piece. I think that one thing you didn't really mention in this blog to support the point was students that don't want to be in gym class do not try, so therefore it's pointless for them to be there and they also slow down the game and flow of the class. I also found it interesting that you chose to want all students in high school to be able to choose whether they wanted to take gym or not. I thought that the seniors should be able to choose whether they want gym or not in their schedule. I can see your points as to why you think all high school students should be able to choose. I, however, disagree. Maybe juniors and seniors should be able to choose, but I don't believe that freshman and sophomores should. I think that although they shouldn't be babied, they are not yet mature. They still have a lot to growing up to do and I think some of the health classes taken up during high school are beneficial and students should be exposed to them. Drivers ed also is a health class taken freshman year and it is needed. At some point the students do need to take exercising into their own hands, but I think it should be required in some years of high school.

Anonymous said...

Nevermind, tator. I commented on yours instead.

Elle said...

Hey tator, thanks for the comment! I definitely agree that people who don't want to be in gym don't try. Gym is a waste of time for many individuals.

My only issue was what to do with health. Because youre right, drivers ed and other health topics are so essential for high school students to be aware of. But to have gym for three marking periods, just to have one of health seems like a waste too. So, I'm not sure how health would fit in. Perhaps make health a four marking period requirement freshman year and cover a variety of topics? I'm not sure, I'd have to think more on that one.

But thanks for the comment!

theteach said...

Not living in NJ, I am interested in how "the New Jersey state government," forces "public school children from the first to twelfth grade...to fight the gluttony."
What does the state do?

You write, "However, there comes a time when physical education becomes nothing more than a wasted forty-two minute period." Why is it wasted? If students, no matter how poorly, engage in physical activity, are they not moving their bodies and exercising?

How many students would take technology classes in place of PE? Do you have any numbers to support your claim?

You write that it is time for teens to be treated as adults. Every day I visit the local YMCA to workout. I am amazed at the number of adults who are obese and can barely walk. Their bodies demonstrate that they have long been neglected. I see children who are obese. They cannot run as fast as others; their feet show the strain of carrying excess weight. They have difficulty breathing.

When you are shopping, or hanging out at the mall, look at the visitors. How many have bulging stomachs? How many look like the Michelin man? How many are stuffing their faces with high calorie snacks and fat-laden foods? No, just look around your classroom. Perhaps no one is Ms. H's class is overweight??

Sometimes the school is the only place where students are required to engage in some form of exercise that burns a few calories and exercise the heart muscles.

Perhaps question why students do not like PE. Is it because they don't want to change clothes? Is it the social problem, a vanity problem? I doubt it is because they are denied the chance to take a technology course. :)


At the beginning, you talk about the US being viewed as a nation wanting to play virtual sports rather than engage in sports. Why do you think this perception exists? What do the statistics tell us?

You also mention getting into a car and driving somewhere to exercise. Cars are the menace. We drive everywhere, no matter how short the distance. We don't walk like we used to. (yeah, those good old days) We also do not do as much physical work as our ancestors did. They worked off the calories the consumed. We engage in a lot less physical activity. What do students do much of the day? They ride to school, sit in class, walk down some halls, return home, sit or lie down while doing homework, watch tv, maybe help cook and clean up afterwards, work their fingers and thumbs on their keyboards and cell phones. :) How much do they eat during the day? What do they eat?

I am glad I read your blog this morning. I did not feel like working out. I have been postponing my exercise by reading your blogs, even considering not engaging at all. After reading your blog and remembering the reason I am sitting in the Y, I change my mind and will get busy and practice a little self-love. I have but one body that is aging. I don't want to be one of those people who has to carry around the oxygen tank or cruise around the grocery in a wheelchair, or have to be lifted into a van.

Figure out why PE is hated. Is it laziness, vanity, fear?

theteach said...

Elle, why is "Gym is a waste of time for many individuals."

Why don't people want to take time to attend to the well-being of their bodies?

Elle said...

Hi Teach-

First of all, it’s a NJ state requirement that all students from the first to twelfth grade engage in at least two and a half semesters of physical education. Their main argument is that it is necessary to fight obesity. Trust me, I know its necessary to fight obesity due to the risks it poses, but physical education does not accomplish anything…I’ll elaborate….

I have been in many many gym classes over the course of my education. And it is safe to say that 90% of each class does barely any physical activity-certainly not enough to burn off a Big Mac. Those who do exert energy in gym are the “gym warriors” who are 95% of the time involved in sports anyway.

High Point offers a HUGE number of electives….from AP courses, to shop classes, to cooking, to fine arts, to performing arts- it’s all there. So even if a student doesn’t choose a technology class, they will be taking a course that will either advance their knowledge in an area that they plan on pursuing after high school, or they will simply enjoy the class. And for those who want to take PE, they can take it.

Yes, many adults are overweight. But, in this day and age adults should truly know the risks of being overweight. The risks are made quite apparent in the media. Their health is in their hands. The issue arises when adults do not pass down proper eating habits to their children. I have been brought up in a household of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and reduced fat. However, I know that not everyone is that fortunate. This is why PE is necessary in middle school and elementary school. Healthy lifestyles need to be taught at a young age.

I personally do not like PE for a number of reasons. A) I am a varsity athlete and I am physically engaged in tennis and running all year round. I also am not worried about obesity. Therefore, I’m a tad bitter that I have to take PE just because it’s a requirement. I know I can’t judge everyone based on myself, but I know there are others like myself who feel that gym is not something they need. B) Changing clothes is a hassle and sweating during the school day in uncomfortable. C) I would LOVE the opportunity to take another elective course or AP course. D) Some people have no problem body checking me into a wall during floor hockey :]

The invention of the Wii (and other video games) has made the US a nation of virtual sports. I will get back to you with statistics….I have midterm studying to attend to! But videogames certainly do not encourage healthy lifestyles in young adults.

Thanks for the comment!

theteach said...

Elle, thanks for the explanation about NJ policy.

As a varsity player, perhaps your speaking out about PE might carry some weight. Possibly you also could argue that varsity athletes should be exempt from PE.

As for the statistics, yes, I am interested, but you have more important tasks at the moment. When you find time. :)

I laugh as I read that adults should be aware. Oh, I suspect many are aware but do not believe or care. It's the same with adults who smoke. It is a sad situation.